Friday, September 2, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower

I can't believe it took me until now to try fresh cauliflower. I've eaten it frozen before, but, in my opinion, the pre-packaged frozen vegetables never taste that great, so I always avoided it. But I saw this recipe and the blogger described roasted cauliflower as sweet, so I thought I would give it a try. Also, I've mentioned that roasting is now my favorite method of eating vegetables, which I'm sure is obvious by the fact that the last three entries involve roasted something.

Oven Roasted Cauliflower

Besides the fact that roasted cauliflower does taste sweet and is freaking delicious, I will be eating it more often because it's easier to deal with. When I cut broccoli into bite-size pieces, those darn little parts of the broccoli end up everywhere and they don't even sweep away nicely. Cauliflower makes a lot less mess, which I'm all for. It also has a milder smell and taste than broccoli.

Oven Roasted Cauliflower

I'm so glad it's a three-day weekend. Maybe I can finally catch up on a lot of work and planning for my classes. And squeeze in some cooking, baking, exploring Downtown Roanoke, and seeing my parents. They are driving down 6 or 7 hours just to stay one night with me, but I won't be home again until Christmas break so it'll be nice to see them. What are your plans for the Labor Day weekend?

Roasted Cauliflower [Makes 4 side dish servings]
From Everyday Home Cook

1 head cauliflower
1 to 2 tbsp oil
Salt and black pepper

First, chop up the cauliflower into uniformly sized pieces. Place onto a nonstick baking sheet, or a well-oiled or foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over top. Sprinkle generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss it all together with a spoon or clean hands. Make sure the cauliflower is in a single layer.

Bake in preheated 400F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve right away!

No comments: