Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Honey-Glazed Roasted Carrots

I've always been too lazy to roast vegetables because they can take a while. But ever since I started making Roasted Broccoli, I've discovered that the taste is probably worth the time and effort. I always buy a bag of vegetables to use just a bit of it and then can't think of other ways to use it up. For example, I use celery in soups, but not very often, so there's usually a bag sitting in the fridge. I never eat celery raw, not even when it's minced very, very finely either. Thankfully, a housemate has been making tuna salad frequently.

Another veggie I buy in "bulk" (I consider one pound of veggies as bulk for one person) is carrots. Not quite enough left for Carrot Soup, so why not roast it? I had just come across a recipe for carrot fries and wanted to try that out. But I thought other flavors might be nice to add because I'm not a huge fan of cooked carrots alone. I never realized, though, that roasting definitely gives them a different flavor. For some reason, the carrots tasted like sweet potatoes to me. Strange, but tasty. There are still a few carrot sticks left that I should probably finish before I go back home for Thanksgiving break. I know now how to use them!

Honey-Glazed Roasted Carrots

Honey Balsamic Glazed Carrots
From Cheap Healthy Good

- 1 lb carrots
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp honey

1. Preheat oven to 400F and place rack in center.
2. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. In a medium bowl, mix carrots, olive oil, salt, and pepper until carrots have been thoroughly doused.
3. Roast carrots for 16 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Roast 5 more minutes, or until carrots are tender enough to be easily pierced with a knife.
4. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Do not let it brown. Add honey and vinegar. Stir. Pour over carrots. Serve.

No comments: