Sunday, July 25, 2010

TVP Meatballs

I learned about TVP last year as I was looking for good sources of protein for a vegetarian. I had used it only once for Sloppy Joe's but I preferred frozen tofu so the bag has remained untouched after that. I wasn't sure how to use it and in what. I searched for TVP recipes and saved a few, but when I kept going back to them, they didn't seem that promising. Then I ran into this. Uh, perfected TVP meatballs? Even with some cursing? It seemed promising to me, but what was even better was that I started seeing this recipe on a lot of other blogs too. This must be it!

As I was waiting for the TVP to cool, I was mixing up the dry ingredients only to realize that I did not have breadcrumbs! Sometimes we have panko breadcrumbs, but we haven't been frying anything so there was none in our pantry. I didn't even have any bread because I ate my last slice yesterday with dinner. I grabbed my keys and drove out to the supermarket quickly (but not breaking any laws) and just as quickly came back home. Twenty minutes and a de-frazzling session later, I was ready to finish. Whew! After mixing everything together, it looked like it would turn out dry and I kept praying that it wouldn't. So hungry at this point... Baking and waiting... Plating and taking pictures... Biting into the meatball... Gasp! Moist! Soft! Not dry at all! Okay, these meatballs really are the best and full credit and kudos to Tracy at A Vegan for Dinner. I will definitely be making more of these. I have enough TVP for another batch, but I'm just gonna go and buy 32819038 pounds from the bulk section at Whole Foods! ;) Plus, you get 10% off if you buy bulk in 5-lb increments. Yippee!

I hope the long list of ingredients doesn't scare you off. I usually take a look at a long list and get intimidated by the amount of stuff that goes in there, but these are actually all spices that you have in your pantry. I'm so happy for once that I do have everything. Since I am cooking more, my pantry has grown so much! This is so easy once you've done your mise en place. Go make them now! :)

TVP Meatballs

TVP Meatballs [Makes 26 small meatballs]
From A Vegan for Dinner

- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce [didn't have this - I just replaced it with soy sauce]
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp beef bouillon [I used chicken]
- 1 tsp onion powder [didn't have this]
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup TVP
- 1 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp vital wheat gluten

1. Mix the Worcestershire Sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, and thyme in a medium bowl. Add the hot water and then stir in the TVP. Let this mixture cool so it's not too hot to work with.
2. Mix the flaxseed and the water together and let it be for 10 minutes so it can gel up.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the cornmeal, oatmeal, breadcrumbs, flour, and vital wheat gluten. When the TVP is cool, add the dry ingredients to the TVP mixture. Mix together and then add the flaxseed mixture. Knead into a solid ball. Take a scant tablespoon of the mixture and shape into a ball. Place on baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes.

TVP Meatballs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very confused. This is a vegan recipe with Beef (or chicken) bouillon and Worcestershire Sauce in the ingredients. Is this a modified vegan recipe?