Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rice and Bean Burritos

Mexican food is a favorite cuisine of mine. Nachos, tacos, chili, you name it! Burritos are also really great as a grab-and-go lunch. You can basically put anything you'd like into it, roll it up, and you're done. Exactly what I need for my lunches. While I like my Lentil Burritos, I was really craving something new. The co-op at my university has some great vegetarian options, one of which is a rice and bean burrito. This recipe is definitely a great start to re-creating the co-op's burrito. Next time, I might consider using a mix of cumin and chili powder or a packet of taco seasoning. I'd like to put more color into this also, so I might take out a can of beans and replace it with corn. Still, a filling meal. I've wrapped all 9 of the burritos in foil and placed them in the freezer so I can just thaw one and head out the door!

By the way, you should watch this video to learn how to fold burritos. Seriously, my burritos look professional, if that's possible. Even though this filling isn't runny, none of it fell out of the burrito as I was eating it.

Rice and Bean Burrito Filling

Rice and Bean Burritos [Makes 9 burritos]
From Macheesmo

- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced [didn't have it so I used celery]
- 2 to 3 jalapenos, de-seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tsp paprika
- Cayenne pepper [optional]
- Large pinch of salt and pepper
- 9 large tortillas

1. Heat oil in a large pan with lid. Add onions and peppers and saute for a few minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir for another minute. Once the rice is hot, add the necessary amount of water (or chicken broth) listed in the instructions of rice package to cook the rice.
3. Add the beans, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and let simmer on low for 20 minutes or until the rice is done (with a little bite but still soft).
4. Pull the pan off the heat and let it cool for about an hour. It needs to be room temperature before you start filling your burritos.

Rice and Bean Burritos

No comments: