Thursday, July 22, 2010

Creamy Carrot Soup

Last weekend, our church was serving Bibimbap for dinner so my mom was in charge of the stir-fried julienned carrots. Because they had to feed 60 people, she decided to buy A LOT of carrots and ended up using only half, which took up almost half of a small refrigerator. I had completely forgotten about them until the other day when I decided to investigate what was inside the plastic bag. Oh, right! The carrots. What to make with these?

My mind instantly went to soup. Fastest way to get rid of a lot of carrots. Then I tried to remember where our juicer is. It might have been too much of a hassle to take it out from wherever it was so I stuck with soup. I wasn't sure how I would like it though. Sometimes I can't handle eating something that tastes too much of veggies. So I searched for recipes that had dairy. I followed Pioneer Woman's Creamy Carrot Soup with a few variations of my own. I did not have lemon on me so I left that out. Instead of half-and-half, I used a 50/50 mixture of milk and yogurt. And before adding the carrots to cook, I sauteed chopped onions with the garlic. I realized that the size of my carrots were probably double that of Pioneer Woman's carrots because 1/2 cup of broth was not enough for my 4 carrots. Lastly, instead of a pinch of nutmeg, I added allspice. Overall, this soup exceeded my expectations and I'm surprised at how much I liked it. With bread on the side, it was a perfect quick meal.

Creamy Carrot Soup

As soon as I pressed the button on my blender, I gasped. It turned into a deep dark orange! Then with the addition of yogurt and milk, the soup became brighter. My eyes were wide open by this time. The picture does not do the color of this soup justice.

Creamy Carrot Soup [Makes 3 servings]
Adapted from Pioneer Woman

- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper and allspice to taste

1. In a saucepan, saute garlic and onion until tender. Add carrots and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until carrots are tender.
2. Blend with immersion blender or in a regular blender. Pour back into saucepan and put on low heat. Whisk in yogurt and milk. You can definitely add more of either if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: