Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Homemade Soymilk

Coffee-mate. My mom puts it in her coffee every day. Quite a bit, actually. I don't think it's too good for you so I would nag at her at times and she would buy a bottle of milk for her coffee. But old habits die hard, right? She goes back to the Coffee-mate and the cycle continues. I think it's because her stomach is a bit sensitive when it comes to milk. (Fortunately, when it's baked or cooked into foods, it's fine.) I bought her lactaid-free milk once and she didn't like it. On my daily browse of Foodgawker, I came across this recipe for homemade soymilk the other day and decided to give it a try. Maybe she'll like soymilk in her coffee instead, especially when it's homemade and not containing any weird ingredients that the store-bought ones could have. My mom just bought a bag of dried yellow soybeans since she had planned on making cold soybean noodle soup but never got around to it so I opened it last night and took out just half a cup of soybeans to soak overnight. The recipe is so simple and the result very tasty! I don't think I'll ever buy again.

Homemade Soymilk
Homemade Soymilk
Homemade Soymilk

Homemade Soymilk [Makes 5 cups]

- 1/2 cup dried yellow soybeans
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup sugar (more to taste, I added 1 more tablespoon)

1. Rinse dried soy beans thoroughly and drain. Soak in cold water overnight in a large bowl. Drain again.
2. Put soybeans and 2 1/2 cups of water in a blender. Cover lid tightly and puree until smooth and milky. Transfer the puree to a large stockpot and add 3 additional cups of water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly and skimming off foam, as necessary. Turn heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes.
4. Strain milk through a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl, pressing on soybeans to squeeze as much liquid out as possible. Stir in salt and sugar, adding more sugar to taste. Serve piping hot or ice cold.

No comments: