Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pancakes on the 4th

Happy July 4th, everyone! Hope you all are enjoying this day. The weather is super hot here (almost 100 degrees F!) so I am staying inside... The whole family is home today. My sister came down from New York for the weekend. My mom usually works on Sundays, but since the 4th falls on a Sunday this year, she's got a day off. I decided to let her rest and make pancakes for the family in the morning. I went for the traditional recipe from Allrecipes rather than something with sour cream or bananas or other flavors that my dad might end up not enjoying as much. Better safe than sorry? I wanted to use flaxseed meal in place of the eggs, but I had written down the wrong ratio and I guess it was too early in the morning for me to recognize how to fix it so I just used eggs. Next time! This time, I also used 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup white flour. I have so much that I want to use up and plus all the better for my parents! Of course, I had to double this recipe for four people or three people and one person with a really big appetite (cough--my sister--cough). This is a very simple and basic recipe that you could probably use as a base for fancier pancakes, but sometimes basic pancakes with just maple syrup is all that you need.

Pancakes [Makes about 18 pancakes]
Adapted from Allrecipes

- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp oil

1. Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg and add milk and oil. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix well.
2. Heat pan to medium heat. Coat with cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup of batter onto pan.
3. When bubbles start to form on top and the edges are dry, flip the pancake and cook for 2 more minutes. Continue same method until you are out of batter.

Pancakes

This one turned out pretty flat, but I intentionally made some that way as I am always afraid the center will not be cooked. There were a lot of fluffy ones though.

No comments: