Monday, August 9, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins

Every time I look at the bag of cornmeal in my pantry, I frown. What am I to do with it? Cornbread was out of the question because I eat it only with chili and I was not about to cook up a storm for a big pot of chili. I've tried making polenta, but I don't think it's the right kind of cornmeal or I just fail every time I make polenta so I was not about to tackle that again. Just then, my sister requested Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins and I thought What perfect timing!

After eating these, I don't know if I could go back to regular blueberry muffins. I forgot how great cornmeal can taste. I thought that it wouldn't be too noticeable as the amount of cornmeal seemed small, but the taste was all there. Something about the cornmeal added a sort of coarseness and heartiness to the muffins. I really liked the change from the regular all-flour dense muffins. I might even prefer it to cornbread, as sometimes I think cornbread can be too coarse and crumbly for my tastes.

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
From The Baker's Daughter

- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar [as always, I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup]
- 1/2 cup heavy cream [me - 1% milk]
- 2 eggs
- 7 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups blueberries

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs and melted butter and pour into the flour mixture, whisking to combine.
3. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray or place liners. Fill each muffin cup with a scant 1/4 cup and top with the blueberries. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with coarse sugar.
4. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes until evenly browned.

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins

No comments: