Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Curry Beef Burgers

I can't remember the last time I had a burger. I tend to stay away from burgers because of their artery-clogging effects and the big portions that the restaurants serve. I'm also paranoid and very suspicious of them because of some bad experiences with McDonald's and Burger King.

But that's fast food, so I should give them another chance, eh? Exactly my thought when I looked in my freezer and saw leftover ground beef. If I'm going to make burgers at home though, I don't want plain flavors. I wanted something exciting so I searched and searched until Whole Foods gave me one that sounded promising. I never would've thought to put curry powder in burgers, but the fact that there are raisins fascinates me! I had to try it immediately.

Curry Beef Burgers
From Whole Foods Market

1/3 cup plain Panko breadcrumbs [I omitted]
1/3 cup grated carrot
1/3 cup seedless raisins
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon mild curry powder
1/2 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat turkey [I used beef]

1. In a medium bowl, thoroughly combine breadcrumbs, carrots, raisins, cilantro, curry powder, ginger, salt and pepper. Add turkey and gently bring all ingredients together with your hands, being careful not to overwork the meat.
2. With dampened hands, form turkey mixture into 6 patties of even thickness. Arrange patties on a lined baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Light the grill or preheat the broiler. Cook burgers, turning once with a spatula, for 6 minutes per side, or until no longer pink inside.

I used these burger buns from Vermont Bread. Fantastic little things caught my eye when I was browsing the bread aisle. Besides looking like they would taste great, they've got the taste and also the strength to hold up to my burger.

Vermont Bread Burger Buns
Curry Beef Burger

I expected a stronger curry taste from the burger, but because I had to reduce the servings, my measurements could have gotten messed up. I will put in more next time. The raisins added random bites of sweetness. Another burger recipe I've been wanting to try has an Asian flair with the addition of Kimchi. Can't go back to the boring ol' flavors now!

No comments: