Wednesday, August 4, 2010

White Chocolate and Chocolate Chip Blondies

The summer school I volunteer at has SAT prep classes and regular Math and English classes for middle school students. While the SAT students have classes until the official test in October, the other students had their last day on Monday and their final exams today. In celebration of the end of summer school for the middle school students, I decided to bake. Because I didn't want to go insane from baking cookies for 50 people with just one cookie sheet, I went for bars. Plus, I'd rather look through 300+ bookmarks of bars than 800+ of cookies on my Delicious account. Saved.

As I wanted to keep things simple, this blondies recipe was perfect. Just make the batter, then throw in some chocolate chips. Actually, these bars are FULL of chocolate chips. Only fair, as every bite should have some. I doubled the recipe for a quicker baking process, but used just 1/2 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar since the chocolates would make things sugar-y enough. These bars were so well received, some students were jumping for seconds. And I had to stop others from taking their fourth pieces as I told them they've had enough sugar for today. I'm glad they liked it that much!

White Chocolate and Chocolate Chip Blondies

White Chocolate and Chocolate Chip Blondies [Makes 16 bars]
From Judicial Peach

- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg whites [I used 1 whole egg]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugars until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until fully incorporated.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Working in batches, add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Mix until just incorporated. Add 1/4 cup of each chocolate chip, and mix into the batter.
3. Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan. Spread the batter evenly into the baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips evenly on top of the mixture. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the blondies to cool in the pan on a wire rack.

No comments: