Friday, August 27, 2010

Zucchini Bread

Today was my last day at work. No more summer school volunteering for me! It's been quite a ride, with stress coming from situations I never would have imagined. For example, the copy machine. Sometimes I loved it while other times it was my worst nightmare. It was having problems when I started working there in June and today a technician promised it would be fixed by Monday. Late much? Despite those stressful times though, I'm taking away such a valuable experience, especially as a future teacher. I don't think I can ever repay my bosses for giving me this opportunity and for helping me out so much. Seriously, I got free lunch.

The least I could do was bake something for them so I made Zucchini Bread. Zucchini Bread is always a favorite in my household, and I should think it would be in any other. The house smells so nice when this is in the oven. And look at the veggies that go into it! How could it be bad?

In Goes the Grated Zucchini

I made two batches of Zucchini Bread because I couldn't not make one for my parents when they love this thing. For the first batch, I followed a recipe from Smitten Kitchen. It was very dry compared to the one I've used before. Still tasty and if I used a little less flour, I think it would be fine, but I didn't have time to experiment, so I just went back to what I used before.

Zucchini Bread [Makes one 9x5 loaf]

- 3 eggs
- 1 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1. Preheat oven to 300F. Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix the oil and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add grated zucchini.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir into egg mixture and mix until everything is just wet.
4. Stir in walnuts and vanilla extract.
5. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Zucchini Bread

I'll definitely be visiting them again when I'm home for the holidays and the school is only a 15-minute drive from my house. It'll be weird (but definitely nice) not to be working. What will I do with my time?! Ugh, get ready for school I guess.

No comments: