Saturday, September 18, 2010

Salt and Pepper Roasted Tofu

I always find it difficult to find new and exciting ways to eat tofu. I've tried frozen tofu in chili, scrambled tofu, and the usual stir-fry. But I got sick of these very quickly. It had been a long, long time since I've eaten tofu so I decided to buy a package when I was at the market the other day. I had this recipe saved, but was hesitant to try it when the original blogger didn't seem too thrilled about the results. I went for it anyway as it was probably better than reverting back to my other boring choices.

Salt & Pepper Roasted Tofu

Even if I made this recipe a hundred times, I don't think I would get sick of it. I actually love this. Roasting the tofu gave it a crunchy exterior, a very nice change from the usual soft texture. The pepper was just enough to give it a bit of kick. The taste of tofu sometimes turns me off, but since this method doesn't give me a strong tofu flavor, it's great. I was supposed to sprinkle with green onions, but I forgot... Still tasty.

I think the only time I could stand the tofu flavor is when I eat it with kimchi. That is the best combination ever.

Salt & Pepper Roasted Tofu

Salt and Pepper Roasted Tofu
From Chow Vegan

- 1 lb firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 450F. Cut the tofu into cubes.
2. In a bowl, combine the garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and oil. Then mix well. Add the tofu and gently toss to coat the tofu with the mixture.
3. Place each tofu cube in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping each cube over about halfway through. Sprinkle with the green onions before serving.

No comments: