Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sloppy Lentils

I started making Sloppy Joes when I was a vegetarian, replacing the meat with crumbled frozen tofu. It never really impressed me, but not a surprise since there weren't many ingredients for much flavor. The tofu didn't help either as it is pretty bland on its own anyway. Even after squeezing out as much water as I can, there was always still some left so with the addition of tomato sauce, my Sloppy Tofu ended up pretty runny.

This one is a keeper for me. First off, I love lentils. I'm glad I found a new way to use them other than for my Lentil Burritos. Second, there may be a lot of ingredients that go into this, but the flavor is worth it. It makes for a filling meal and is so yummy. Draining the broth after boiling the lentils helped the lentils stay together and not run out of my hamburger buns.

Sloppy Lentils

Sloppy Lentils [Makes 4 servings]
Adapted from Meatless Mama

- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar

1. In a large pot, combine lentils, water, onion, garlic, carrots, bell pepper, celery, and bay leaf.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain and remove bay leaf.
3. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, salt, paprika, sugar, mustard, and vinegar. Heat through and serve.

No comments: