Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Crispy Potato Roast + Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms

Choosing the side dishes for Christmas dinner was somewhat difficult. I know that sometimes the same type of food that is made for Thanksgiving can also be made for Christmas, but I wanted to keep things separate. That meant no turkey, no corn, no stuffing, no pumpkin, etc. Now, I knew potatoes were going to on the table, but not mashed potatoes. I liked the way Martha Stewart's Crispy Potato Roast looked, so I decided to go for that. As for the second side, even after days of searching, I couldn't find a vegetable that everybody would like, so I went to Smitten Kitchen for some help. As I went through the recipe index, my sister's face lit up when she saw these mushrooms, so of course, I went for those.

Crispy Potato Roast

For these potatoes, I decided not to peel them because I was feeling lazy. I also forgot my vegetable peeler back in Virginia, so it would have been way too much effort on my part. They tasted fine, but I'm not too sure if I would go for these next time I make something like this. I have other recipes for thinly sliced potatoes baked in the oven and I would give them a go before making this a second time. By the way, shallots in the oven? They smell amazing...

Crispy Potato Roast [Makes 8 servings]
From Martha Stewart

- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 lb russet potatoes, peeled
- 4 shallots, thickly sliced lengthwise
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 sprigs thyme

1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a small bowl, combine butter and oil. Brush bottom of a round 9-inch baking dish with some butter mixture. With a sharp knife or mandoline, slice potatoes very thinly crosswise.
2. Arrange potato slices vertically in dish. Wedge shallots throughout. Sprinkle with salt and red-pepper flakes (if using). Brush with remaining butter mixture. Bake 1 1/4 hours.
3. Add thyme and bake until potatoes are cooked through with a crisp top, about 35 minutes more.

As for the roasted mushrooms, they are heavenly. Mushroom fans, I recommend you make this now! Or for your next meal, just make sure you do it soon. I love that the mushrooms catch the garlic butter sauce and the capers, making every bite juicy and tasty. Plus, this is a cinch to prepare and once you put it in the oven, you can take care of other business, and then take it out of the oven when it's ready and serve immediately.

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
From Smitten Kitchen

- 1 lb mushrooms such as cremini or white, halved lengthwise if large
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Toss mushrooms with capers, garlic, oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper in a 1 1/2- to 2-qt shallow baking dish.
2. Top with butter and roast, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and golden and bubbly garlic sauce forms below, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Serve immediately.

No comments: