Monday, December 6, 2010

Morning-After Cranberry Sauce Muffins

I have never had cranberry sauce in my life. As I mentioned before, my family and I did not start doing traditional Thanksgiving dinner until this year. I was going to make it, but apparently my sister is not a fan of cranberry at all. But when I came back to school, I noticed we had 2 cups of cranberry sauce in the fridge as they were leftovers from a housemate's Thanksgiving dinner. Nobody seems to like cranberry sauce outside of Thanksgiving and I didn't really want to give it a try, so we had no idea what to do with it. After a bit of searching around, I did find a recipe for muffins. It uses quite a bit of cranberry sauce so it's a great recipe to use up leftovers. A healthy breakfast or snack so you don't feel too guilty about any overeating you might have done on Thanksgiving dinner.

You can definitely add more flavors if you'd like. Maybe a teaspoon of vanilla extract or orange zest. The original recipe said to add cinnamon in the instructions, but cinnamon was not one of the ingredients, so I didn't add it, but you can add 1/4 teaspoon for even tastier muffins.

Morning-After Cranberry Sauce Muffins

Morning-After Cranberry Sauce Muffins [Makes 12 muffins]
From Serious Eats

- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole-grain wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups of leftover cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin with paper baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, combine regular flour, whole-grain flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; mix well.
3. In medium bowl, combine milk, oil, cranberry sauce and egg; blend well.
4. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Fill muffin cups about three-quarters full. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.

Morning-After Cranberry Sauce Muffins

No comments: