Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lambert's Cafe Throwed Rolls

I am pretty horrible at catching. If you were to throw something at me, I'd freak out for a minute and then try to catch it, but fail horribly. So if I wanted to eat rolls at Lambert's Cafe, I'd have better luck bringing my own bread. Lambert's Cafe is a Missouri and Alabama restaurant chain. I have never been there and probably won't ever be there, but I found the recipe for their "throwed rolls" while searching for dinner roll recipes. It's an intriguing concept and really makes that cafe a unique place, but I can't imagine myself eating there. Bread is constantly eaten and people eat it while they're waiting for their food and even when they get their food. So what I see happening in the cafe is that every few minutes, bread is flying around all over the place. Sounds like a comedy. But anyway, I'd imagine it can be frustrating for people who can't catch (like me) so I can just taste their rolls by using this recipe.

They are quite yummy rolls though so maybe it's worth all the effort in throwing and catching. You must eat them while they are still warm. I think it tastes the best then. If cold, heat them up in the microwave for 30 seconds. I split one in half and drizzled pancake syrup all over for a sweet fix. I can't help but question what made them choose such a shape for their rolls. Did they carry out experiments to see which ones yielded the best results or was it happenstance? You know, this sounds like an fun experiment to carry out on my own...

Cafe Lambert's Throwed Rolls

Lambert's Cafe Throwed Rolls [Makes 12 rolls]
From Dine and Dish

- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4-oz package dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup tepid water (105 to 110 degrees)
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temp and beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour

1. Combine sugar and yeast in tepid water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
2. Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt in large bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of flour, adding a bit more if necessary to make a soft, pliable dough.
3. Turn dough out on floured board and let rest while you clean and butter bowl. Knead dough gently for 4 to 5 minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.
4. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 hours approximately).
5. Butter a 12 cup muffin tin.
6. Punch down dough. Pinch off pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, (enough to fill one-half of muffin cup), and roll into smooth spheres. Place two such pieces in each prepared muffin cup (it will be a tight fit). Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap for 45 minutes.
7. Bake rolls in oven preheated to 350F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light brown. Serve as soon as they are cool enough to throw.

No comments: