Sunday, January 30, 2011

Orange Sesame Tilapia

I definitely don't eat enough fish. I eat canned tuna about once a week, but I really should try to incorporate fresh fish. After a year of shopping at Wal-Mart, I only just discovered that Wal-Mart sells fish other than the packaged ones in the freezer. It's not advertised very well. There is no sign that says "Fish" such as the signs for "Poultry" or "Beef". So I was very excited to see a pack of seafood mix right next to the salmon and the tilapia. I will have to buy that later, but for now I went for the tilapia.

I always ate tilapia baked and topped with slices of lemon, but I thought I'd go for something new, so I chose this recipe. There are a few things I'd like to change before making this marinade a second time. I already made changes to the original after reading the reviews. I reduced the soy sauce and sesame oil by half as others said they were overpowering. My soy sauce is also a lot stronger than normal, so that was probably the better choice. I couldn't taste the orange juice at all, though, so I will increase that to 3/4 cup as a reviewer suggested. Other reviewers said garnishing the fish with toasted sesame seeds and finely chopped scallions made it taste a lot better. I love toasted sesame seeds so that definitely improved this dish for me.

Orange Sesame Tilapia

Orange Sesame Tilapia
Adapted from Allrecipes

- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 6 (4 oz) tilapia fillets
- Sesame seeds
- Scallions

1. Stir the orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a 9x13 inch baking dish until combined. Add the tilapia fillets, turning once to evenly coat. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425F. Remove fish from the fridge and discard of the plastic wrap. Bake in the oven until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 9 to 11 minutes.

No comments: