Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yogurt-Tahini Sauce

I still have quite a bit of tahini left after making Tahini Curried Carrot Salad (twice) so I thought I'd look up some type of sauce or dressing to make. I found a lot of recipes containing yogurt and tahini. I didn't think the combination of just yogurt and tahini would be very interesting so I kept searching until I found this one. There's a bit of garlic, a bit of red pepper, and best of all, ketchup! One of my favorite dressings is Russian dressing, a mix of ketchup and mayonnaise, so this is somewhat similar except the yogurt replaces the mayonnaise. The tahini adds a slightly nutty flavor. I'm still not used to the strong taste of tahini alone, so I like that the yogurt and ketchup softens it up a bit.

So far, I've drizzled this over fried tofu. While fried tofu tastes good, it's still pretty bland on its own so the addition of this sauce made it great. I've also mixed the sauce with chickpeas. Even when tossed with just lettuce, it tastes fine.

Yogurt-Tahini Sauce

Yogurt-Tahini Sauce [Makes 14 tbsp]
From FatFree Vegan Kitchen

- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch red pepper
- 4 tsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp water

1. Mix all ingredients well in a small bowl. Add additional seasonings to taste.

No comments: