Friday, April 1, 2011

Beef and Zucchini Burgers

Happy April Fools' Day! Trying to find a good way to trick people? Well, then you should make these burgers... It's a great way to make sure you or anyone else who doesn't like vegetables actually eat vegetables. You can clearly tell that my burgers have zucchini in them, so I couldn't trick somebody, but they at least wouldn't be able to taste that zucchini is in the burgers. At first, I was disappointed because I wanted the flavor to be more prominent, but it's still good. The zucchini adds a lot of moisture so even when I used extra lean ground beef, the burgers weren't dry. The only other seasoning I added was garlic to replace the steak seasoning in the original recipe. I wonder, though, if I could add anything else to make this more different and extraordinary. Any suggestions are welcome!

Zucchini Beef Burgers

Does anyone have some tricks up their sleeves? I haven't participated in any April Foolery, but I know of some that my housemates are playing on others. Oh, the hilarity. It's always great when you get to watch the tricks being played on others and the tricks are not being played on you!

Zucchini Beef Burgers

Beef and Zucchini Burgers
Adapted from Healthy Delicious

- 2 small zucchinis
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic
- Salt and pepper

1. Peel the zucchini, then use the side of a box grater to shred it into thin ribbons. Place the zucchini ribbons between two paper towels to remove some of the moisture.
2. In a large bowl, combine the shredded zucchini, ground beef, and garlic. Use your hands to mix the ingredients until they are combined the zucchini is evenly distributed. Form into six patties.
3. Spritz a heavy skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When your pan is hot, add the burgers. Cook burgers for 5 minutes on one side, then flip and cook on the second side until they are done to your liking — about 3 minutes for a medium burger.

No comments: