Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sweet, Sticky, and Spicy Chicken

One of the ways my university is unique is the semester schedule. Split into a trimester, the year starts off with a 12-week term, then another 12-week term, and ends with the 4-week term, Spring Term. Spring Term is special in that it involves just one academic course and lots of shenanigans. It's a time to relax, go tubing, party, and for seniors, do everything that's left to do in this town. My housemates and I made a bucket list, but we still haven't gotten started! There are definitely some things I need to make sure I see before I leave, such as Foamhenge. Other things on the list include eating at a lot of the restaurants. Sushi Matsumoto is a great sushi place. They've got the most delicious teriyaki sauce! I'm definitely not trying to copy their recipe with what I'm sharing today, but thinking about their food just made me want to make this recipe.

The sushi restaurant in town also seems to be more conscious about being healthy than using MSG or other unnatural ingredients. I don't trust a lot of other restaurants, however, because I always get a funny feeling in my mouth. This is why I love making a recipe at home that ends up tasting like something from a restaurant. It's so much healthier since I know what went into the dish. This recipe doesn't take very long to make so it can be an easy weeknight meal. Make sure to serve this with white rice. I know it may not be the healthiest option, but I don't think there is another grain that absorbs quite as well as white rice and that's what you want with this sauce.

Sweet, Sticky, and Spicy Chicken

Spring Term is actually somewhat conflicting for me because I still want to be a good student and get my work done (my professor assigns quite a bit of reading), but then my brain keeps reminding me that this is the last term of my college career! Last weekend was pretty epic, but this weekend and the next is filled with acting so let's see what we can fit in.

Sweet, Sticky, and Spicy Chicken
From Allrecipes

- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil

1. Mix together brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and hot sauce in a small bowl.
2. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken strips.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken strips and brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments: