Saturday, June 4, 2011

Chicken and Mushrooms with Onion Sauce

Since I came home on Wednesday, I've been eating my mom's cooking. It's nice to eat Korean food again, but I figured I should cook something myself. At the market, I bought some chicken and randomly grabbed mushrooms without thinking of what I would make. There's something about white button mushrooms that makes me want to buy them whenever I look at them. Then this recipe popped into my head. It's been on my queue for a while because it's a simple recipe with a few of my favorite ingredients. I'm glad I finally got around to making this dish. From start to finish it took me about 30 minutes, so it's also a great weeknight meal for when you're too tired to cook something else.

Chicken and Mushroom with Onion Sauce

To change it up for next time, I might use white wine instead of chicken broth and add some herbs for more flavor. The original recipe had this served over orzo, but I just went with what I had on hand. Any grain would work: rice, brown rice, bulgur, couscous, etc. I would love to try this over some polenta, too.

Chicken and Mushroom with Onion Sauce

Chicken and Mushrooms with Onion Sauce [Makes 4 servings]
From Meg Kat

- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste

1. In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat the oil on medium to medium-high heat and add in the onion. Cook until lightly browned and starting to caramelize (remember to keep stirring it to keep from burning).
2. Add in the pieces of chicken and toss around until lightly browned on all sides. Next add in the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Throw in the flour and stir to coat all the ingredients. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stir, and allow to simmer until thickened (add a little salt and pepper to taste).

No comments: