Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cuban Picadillo

I had bought a jar of pimento-stuffed olives a while back as I meant to make black beans with them, but didn't get around to it. I actually just ended up mixing them in sandwiches. But I decided to save the rest of the jar for this recipe.

Only a few flavors, yet I really enjoy this dish. As much I love the taste of beef, I also love the fact that the cumin and tomato paste kind of cover it up here. The tomato paste thickens up the liquid. The olives add a nice kick. I though about dicing them up before stirring them in, but I'm glad I left them whole. It looks better, too. As for the salt, I would cut back by half.

Cuban Picadillo

I ate this as a taco and thankfully most of the filling stayed put, unlike as a sandwich where the filling fell out all over the place. It's a great idea to eat as a Sloppy Joe, but maybe in a hollow bread roll instead where it's guaranteed to stay in. I've also got some couscous that I should serve this over... Can't wait for the leftovers.

Cuban Picadillo

Cuban Picadillo
From Bitchin' Camero

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb lean or extra-lean ground beef
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt (to taste)
2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, saute the onions for about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute, then add the beef and reduce to medium heat.

Brown the beef, using a wooden spoon to break up any large pieces, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste, cumin and salt and stir until combined. If your pan is dry, add 2 tbsp. of water to help the tomato paste dissolve. Let simmer for another 5 minutes or so, then stir in the olives.

Serve with white rice, over polenta, in tacos, etc.

No comments: