Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicken Paprikash

As much as I might complain about how I dislike snow or the cold, I'm jealous that everybody else I know got snow while I didn't. Maybe not quite the snowmageddon that the Northeast got, but just an inch would have been nice. I didn't realize that the storm would end up this epic though. It's not something you expect in October! I wonder what the rest of the winter season will bring...

Thankfully, the temperature in my apartment stays pretty constant, so though it may be cold outside, I'm not! I have a sealed window, so it doesn't open at all. The downside is that I can't get any fresh air. The upside is that I haven't had to turn the heat on at all yet. I forget sometimes that it is, in fact, cold outside, so when I step out in the morning, I'm definitely not wearing enough layers.

Chicken Paprikash

To keep myself warm, I like to make stews and soups. Here's a classic dish that I fell in love with three years ago. Paprikash is a Hungarian stew typically made with pork, but I went for chicken. I've tried several paprikash recipes and none have lived up to what I've tasted in Budapest. This one comes close. It's not bland and the consistency is almost there. I changed it up by adding potatoes and omitting the tomatoes. This is also a great way to use up the ridiculous amount of Hungarian paprika I have.

Chicken Paprikash

It might be a good thing that it didn't snow down here. We need to save the snow days for later in the season because I do not want to lose any vacation days. Those are much needed.

Chicken Paprikash [Makes 3 servings]
From Tamarind and Thyme

6 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
Flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sunflower oil
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp Hungarian paprika, sweet or hot
2 tomatoes, chopped
350 ml chicken stock
50 to 100 ml sour cream

Heat about 200ml sunflower oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Mix flour, salt and black pepper in a shallow bowl and dust the thigh fillets in this mixture. When the oil is hot, fry the thigh fillets on both sides until browned. When browned (but not necessarily cooked through), drain and set aside.

Drain all but about 1 tbsp of oil in the saute pan and melt the butter in too. Add the chopped onion and fry until softened. Throw in the garlic and continue sauteing until the raw smell of the garlic becomes the mellow sweetness of cooked. Add the paprika and chopped tomatoes and continue frying for another few minute. Pour in the chicken stock and stir thoroughly to combine.

Place the chicken thighs back into the saute pan and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and let simmer for about 10 minutes, turning once halfway through. Stir through the sour cream (adding little at a time) and bring back to a simmer. Season to taste and serve on top of rice or buttered noodles or with bread.

No comments: