Saturday, November 5, 2011

Honey Sesame Chicken

I always planned my meals ahead to save time and to keep my eating habits under control. But sometimes, they were never what I wanted at the moment, but I had to eat them as I had nothing else prepared. It's never good when I'm "forced" to eat something. So off I'd go searching for whatever my taste buds thought they were missing.

Lately, though, I've been really good with my self-control. I finally figured out that all I need to do is listen to my cravings. Why it took me this long to realize this, I don't know. Maybe it's an obvious fact to everyone else, but I guess I just had to make the discovery myself. Even just a moderate amount of whatever I wanted satisfies me and I don't go searching for more food. Win!

Honey Sesame Chicken

Yesterday, I really wanted some bad Chinese take-out. Instead of buying, I found this recipe and made it for lunch today. (And saved myself some money, too!) It doesn't take much time to prepare, yet it tastes delicious as if from a restaurant. I prefer the coating that cornstarch gives the chicken pieces to that of flour. You could probably fry the chicken, too, but that takes too much for me and I wanted to keep it a light meal.

Honey Sesame Chicken

I still plan at least my lunches and keep frozen foods in stock as back-up. But for the most part, I leave it up to my stomach to decide what's for dinner. A happy stomach of mine equals a happy me :)

Honey Sesame Chicken
From Full Measure of Happiness

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 egg [I omitted]
1/4 C cornstarch
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 to 2 tbsp vegetable oil

Slice the chicken into 1-inch pieces and set aside. Mix the egg and cornstarch, and pour over the chicken to coat. (Or just coat the chicken in cornstarch.) Meanwhile, combine the honey, soy sauce, and sesame seeds and set aside.

Warm the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Lay the chicken in the oil and cook through, turning once or twice (about 7 to 10 minutes). Add the sliced scallions and the sesame mixture over the chicken, and cook until the sauce thickens, just a few minutes.

Serve with rice and/or steamed vegetables.

No comments: