Friday, September 14, 2012

Chicken Marsala

My sleep schedule has been weird this week. Not really sure what's causing it, but I have a suspicion that it might just be plain paranoia. Last week, I overslept and woke up an hour later than I usually do. I like taking my time to get ready and eating my breakfast so I hated having to get ready in such a hurry. The good thing was that I wasn't late because I usually get to school an hour before we have to anyway. Still, I felt pretty frazzled and I hate that feeling, especially to start off the day.

The next couple mornings, I kept waking up an hour or more before my alarm, reaching straight for my phone to check the time and make sure I hadn't overslept. I try to go back to sleep but it's not good sleep. I wake up tired and spend the whole day tired.

That's why I found it surprising that I had the energy at the end of the day to make this dinner when I got home. Chicken Marsala has always been something I wanted to try, but I never really walk towards the wine section at the store. I would also not know what to do with the rest of the wine. Yes, I could drink it, but I really don't drink when I'm alone at home, so it would just sit for a while until I made Chicken Marsala again.

Last year, though, I was cooking with a friend and we needed Marsala wine so I caved and got it. I haven't used it since and decided to get it out this week. This was so good that I might actually make it once a week and then I'll actually be finishing the bottle at a decent pace. I liked eating this over rice as the rice soaked up the sauce and ended up with more flavor. I hope I have the energy after a long day of school to make this again soon!

Chicken Marsala

Chicken Marsala
From Gourmand Recipes

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
3 tbsp oil
7 oz button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup Marsala wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup single cream or half and half (optional)
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Season the flour with the salt and pepper. (You can also season the flour with paprika and dried oregano but it is not necessary as they may overpower the flavor of the Marsala wine.)

Use the meat mullet to slightly flatten the chicken breasts. Lightly coat the chicken breasts with the seasoned flour.

Heat the oil in a fry pan over medium high heat. Fry the chicken breasts until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Fry the mushrooms using the remaining oil over medium heat until slightly browned and softened. Add the Marsala wine and let it simmer and is reduced by half. Add the chicken stock and simmer until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Add the cream and mix it through with the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the chicken to the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Stir in the chopped parsley and serve immediately over pasta, rice, polenta, or with a side of veggies.

No comments: