Friday, September 27, 2013

Banana Nut Muffins

I'm back in baking mode and it feels great! It's wonderful when you have time to do something for yourself once in a while. Last weekend, I found some time for myself and made these muffins. I bought a bunch of bananas at the beginning of the week and they ripened so quickly. I don't like eating overripe bananas so I couldn't even try to eat them quickly. I had to bake with them. The only problem is that I can't stand the smell of banana bread but I couldn't think of anything else to make with these overripe bananas. I was on a muffin kick at the time anyway so I stuck with this recipe.

Banana Nut Muffins

I chose this recipe because the blogger wrote that these aren't as strong as normal banana bread might be in terms of flavor. I guess it's true because I thought these turned out delicious - moist and nutty. But maybe my taste buds matured some more. It might just be the smell because I still couldn't handle that but I can certainly handle the tastiness that was these banana muffins. I'll eventually come to love them. It took me until college to realize that vegetables are tasty too! (Sad.)

Who knows when I'll be able to bake again so I'm gonna enjoy these as much as I can. I've started graduate classes and it's taking me a bit more work to get back into academic mode. This week was also homecoming week at my school so it's been crazy! And even though it's Friday, I'm not as excited about it because I know I have to be back at school tomorrow night to work the homecoming dance. At least I'll be able to see some of my students dressed up and having fun!

Banana Nut Muffins
From Apple Crate

4 overripe bananas
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped [I used walnuts]

Peel the bananas. Mash them roughly with a fork, leaving some chunky pieces for texture. Place half of them in a large mixing bowl. Set aside the other half of the bananas.

Add sugar to the bananas in mixing bowl, beat them together for 3 minutes with an electric mixer until a frothy mixture forms. Add butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix together until combined. Add flour, baking soda, salt, remaining bananas and nuts. Stir until just combined. Do not over mix.

Scoop the batter into a muffin tin lined with baking cups. Bake at 350F for 16 - 18 minutes until baked through. Serve with softend butter.

No comments: