Saturday, November 8, 2014

"Amish" Pancakes

Every other recipe now has the Amish Friendship Bread Starter in it. I told you, I might as well be an Amish Friendship Bread Starter blog. As soon as I come up with a shorter name. Anyway, my six bags of starter are now down to just two and I have several in the freezer for future use. I'm just keeping a couple going still because I actually do enjoy it (as long as it stays just two bags). I like discovering the different ways I can use this versatile starter. I had been thinking about pancakes for breakfast recently and of course I looked for way to incorporate the starter, so here are the results.

"Amish" Pancakes

"Amish" Pancakes

I couldn't flip the pancakes very well this morning. I blame my spatula.

"Amish" Pancakes

"Amish" Pancakes

My previous go-to pancakes recipe were easy to make but didn't quite deliver in the fluffy department. These sure do. Despite no additional sugar in this recipe, these pancakes are not at all bland. The sugar from the starter adds just enough sweetness and, if you top it off with syrup, then you'll have a perfect balance of sweet. This recipe is also easy to put together and uses basic ingredients that you should definitely have on hand. Besides the starter, of course, but that has become somewhat of a staple in my kitchen now. Enjoy these on your weekend morning with your family. It makes more than enough for a family of four, especially if served with other dishes such as eggs and bacon.

"Amish" Pancakes
From Friendship Bread Kitchen

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp oil
2 cups Amish Friendship Bread Starter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Set a nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.

In a smaller bowl, combine oil, Amish Friendship Bread starter, milk, and egg.

Add ingredients of smaller bowl to the ingredients of larger bowl and mix on medium speed.

Spoon batter onto skillet or a greased griddle. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook until browned on the other side.

No comments: