Saturday, July 17, 2010

Turkey Apple Sausage Patties

A few weeks ago, I made some sausage patties to eat for breakfast. I noticed I was running low so I went looking for a new recipe to try. It was actually pretty difficult to find one that had different flavors from the last recipe I used. After browsing and browsing and more browsing, I found one by Rachael Ray in which she has an apple as an ingredient. I thought to myself, "Hey, I love apples, so why not," and kept searching for similar ones and found this very simple recipe.

These patties have a totally different flavor from the last one I made. The recipe calls for dried apples, but I used a whole fresh one instead. A new kind of apple, actually, that I had never tasted before. It's called Jonagold. It's a tart and crispy apple and I love it! I love all apples and I hope I run into more different types so I can try them all. My everyday apple is Gala, but my all-time favorites have to be Honeycrisp and Fuji. I grew up eating Fuji every night as dessert. It's very refreshing to eat, especially if dinner that night was spicy or a bit on the heavy side.

The recipe also calls for honey or maple syrup, but I used agave nectar. I could tell just from adding and mixing the agave into the meat mixture that it would be a bit softer than the previous patties I made and it certainly was. A couple other changes I made were adding more veggies and replacing sage with parsley because I am not a big fan of sage and I couldn't even find it at the market. I really love these patties and I would definitely make these again!

Turkey Apple Sausage Patties

Turkey Apple Sausage Patties [Makes 33 small patties]
Adapted from The Nourishing Gourmet

- 1.3 lb ground turkey
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp dried parsley flakes

1. Pulse the apple, onion, bell pepper, and zucchini in a food processor until finely chopped and squeeze out excess juice. Add to bowl.
2. Add turkey, allspice, sea salt, black pepper, parsley, and agave into the bowl with veggies. Mix well.
3. Take a little less than 2 tbsp of meat mixture. Form into a ball and then flatten with palms. Cook each patty for about 3 minutes or until center is cooked through.

No comments: