Sunday, July 18, 2010

White Bean Dips

I'm really into dips. Hummus, Spinach Artichoke, Salsa. Scooping it up with the chip is an adventure in itself sometimes and then the crunch gives such satisfaction. You know the salsa and chips that comes out with your drinks at a Mexican restaurant? All gone before the food even comes out! Bad, but so good. I have so many dip recipes bookmarked that I don't even know where to start! And most of them are of the same thing but with variations. Take out this, add a little bit of that. Even at the supermarket, how many variations of hummus are there? Lots!

Today, I made two types of White Bean Dip. One is just regular White Bean Dip and the other is White Bean Roasted Red Pepper Dip. Ack, such a long name. I think I'll shorten it to White Bean RRP Dip. Or WBRRP Dip. Anyway, I halved each recipe since it'll be just me eating these dips and I only had about 1 cup of dried beans in my pantry. I love the sweet flavor that the red pepper adds. I am a roasted red pepper addict. I went through a phase when I ate it every single day. And the plain dip is just as great too, especially since sometimes red pepper dips can get too sweet for me if that's all I keep eating.

White Bean Dip
Adapted from Buff Chickpea

Puree all of the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup dried navy beans, soaked overnight and cooked
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup oil

White Bean Roasted Red Pepper Dip
Adapted from The Urban Spork

Puree all of the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup dried navy beans, soaked overnight and cooked
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice

White Bean Dips

The chips... I don't like to have such bad temptations in my house and I wasn't quite in the mood to be dipping with veggies, so I decided to bake my own chips from the bag of potatoes I have. Healthier and costs less and quite easy too!

Oven-Baked Potato Chips

I would definitely leave them in the oven a little longer next time because the bigger ones were still floppy. I guess I should wait until they are brown all over.

Oven-Baked Potato Chips

- 1 potato
- Salt
- Cooking spray

1. Slice potato into thin slices (say 2 mm?). Soak in water for 10 minutes and then pat dry.
2. Spread out potato slices onto cookie sheet in one layer and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle salt all over.
3. Bake at 500F for 20 minutes. Watch the smaller pieces as they will brown a lot faster than the bigger ones. Take them out as they finish.

I already have another White Bean RRP Dip in mind that has cream cheese in it, but I think I'll lay off the white beans for now.

No comments: