Saturday, September 25, 2010

Lemon Potato & Edamame Salad

Sometimes I just want to eat a potato. But I always buy potatoes in bulk. Never individually. As I pick up the 5-lb bag, I think to myself that it is totally possible for me to finish all of it before the potatoes start to sprout and go bad. But when I get home and it's time for me to eat them up, I hesitate. I can only take so many baked potatoes. I just blogged about wanting to save money and being economical so it would be hypocritical of me to let the potatoes go to waste. So I'm constantly in search of great potato recipes. Don't be surprised if the next couple recipes have potatoes in them.

The potatoes were, of course, what drew me to this recipe, but the edamame also caught my eye. I was introduced to edamame only very recently and really fell in love with the stuff. I'm not sure how to cook with them yet, so I've just been enjoying them sprinkled with sea salt and popping them into my mouth from the shell.

I wasn't too crazy about the marinade. Granted, I was missing an ingredient, but I don't think it would have made a difference for me. I think I might try some other flavors. Perhaps a light dressing. I loved the contrasting textures of the potato and edamame together though. The soft potato somewhat melted in my mouth and the edamame gave me something to chew on. While the melting potatoes didn't make this the prettiest dish, it was still tasty and leaves me with three less potatoes in the bag!

Lemon Potato & Edamame Salad

Lemon Potato & Edamame Salad [Makes 2 to 3 servings]
From Green Kitchen Stories

- 1 kg potatoes
- 500 g edamame beans (fresh shelled soy beans), we use frozen

- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 organic lemon (juice and peel)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (or sesame seeds) [I have neither so left them out]
- Salt & pepper

1. Boil the potatoes and set aside.
2. Boil some water and pour it over the frozen edamame beans, let them soak for a couple of minutes and then remove the shell.
3. Mix the marinade and cut the potatoes in medium size pieces.
4. Mix potatoes, edamame beans and the marinade in a bowl and serve on a big plate, or bring it in a picnic-box!

No comments: