Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wild on Chicken

I used to avoid any recipe that had mayonnaise in it because just seeing the word made me feel greasy under my skin. My body cannot handle heavy foods that wonderfully. But then I discovered a trick: substitute it with yogurt! Yogurt is so good for you! Lots of calcium, protein, and good bacteria to improve your digestive system. I love eating it with honey or pancake syrup drizzled on top.

So when I saw this recipe, even though it had mayonnaise as an ingredient, I bookmarked it. I got it from Gwenyth Paltrow's GOOP newsletter. I'm not a huge fan of her, but I do like finding new ideas for recipes, so I read her newsletter and saw this one. I liked the idea of grapes in this chicken salad. I eat something along the lines of this salad often, but with tuna instead of chicken, ranch dressing rather than yogurt, or curry powder to replace the herbs. I also add shreds of lettuce and stuff everything into a pita for a quick and easy meal. Everything about this was refreshing: the grapes, the lemon, the yogurt! The grapes added a nice, juicy crunch, as did the pecans. The lemon and the herbs help reduce the taste of yogurt, if it's not something you're that fond of.

Wild on Chicken

I ate this chicken salad as is on top of a bed of lettuce, but it would also be great as a sandwich.

Wild on Chicken
From GOOP

- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast (3 lbs)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise [I used fat-free yogurt]
- 2 cups red grapes, halved
- 3 tbsp fresh tarragon
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toasted pecans (optional)

1. To poach chicken breasts, put in stock pot, cover with water and add 2 onions, bay leaves, parsley, cloves, salt & pepper. Bring to boil and poach 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Remove from water and cool before making salad. Cut into bite size pieces, combine with rest of ingredients and serve.

No comments: