Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Egg Drop Soup

The third and final recipe I'd like to share from my Sunday night's Chinese dinner is Egg Drop Soup. A very classic dish with basic Asian flavors and a little protein from the eggs. I love to eat this when nothing else seems too appealing and I don't want to put much effort into cooking. It's probably best if you use something with a spout so that the eggs can go in slowly as a thin stream. Otherwise, when using a bowl, the eggs come out and head straight for the bottom of the bowl and the thin stream doesn't work quite as well. Maybe that's just been my experience. But this time I did use a spout and the soup had pretty thin ribbons of eggs rather than scrambled eggs. I should try this method when I put eggs in my ramen. I don't do it too often because it makes the broth ugly, but this might be better.

I didn't have mushrooms so I left that out, but I think it would've made the soup even better. I love shiitake mushrooms and those would be fantastic in this.

Egg Drop Soup

- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3/4 cup mushrooms [omitted]

1. Reserve 1/2 cup of stock and mix it with the cornstarch until dissolved. Set aside.
2. Add the rest of the broth, the ginger, soy sauce, scallions, mushrooms, and white pepper into a pot and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Slowly add in the eggs while stirring the soup. Turn off the heat and garnish with more chopped scallions. Serve.

Photobucket

No comments: