Friday, October 22, 2010

Split Pea Soup

Can you tell it's getting cold around here? Soup, soup, and soup. The weather in town has been a bit inconsistent as always, but it's now mostly cold and super windy and a mist of fog blankets the town late at night. I'm also just getting over a cold, so hot and steamy soup makes me feel better.

The first time I made Split Pea Soup, my dad thought I was making curry. As the soup was simmering, it left off a smell that did remind me of curry, but I told him they were just dried peas and I added nothing else but vegetables, broth, and a bay leaf. But it gave me an idea: why not add some curry powder? Since I'm not using ham in the broth as traditional recipes do, it definitely makes the flavor of the soup more exciting. Thanks Dad!

Number three from my Go-To Vegetarian Recipe Collection is filling and especially great with some crusty bread to clean up the bowl. Here's another idea: try putting in Cheez-Its. I love the strong cheddar flavor mixed with the soup. Real cheddar would probably be better, but I do love the crunch, crunch, crunch of crackers. This soup is so easy to cook, too. You just chop all the vegetables up, place all ingredients in a pot, and let it simmer while you do other errands.

Split Pea Soup

Split Pea Soup

- 1 1/4 cups dried green split peas
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt

1. Put all ingredients in pot in order, split peas first.
2. Cook for about an hour.

No comments: