Saturday, October 16, 2010

Zucchini Garlic Soup

Last week, I had planned on making a ton of Zucchini Bread so I bought 3 huge zucchinis. Then classes and work started taking over my life so I found the time to make only one. Now I have 2 of those huge zucchinis left and I've lost the Zucchini-Bread-making desire. For some reason, when I have leftover vegetables, my mind instantly goes to soup to get rid of them. So I looked up recipes for zucchini soup and got this one. The soup looked delicious and creamy with no use of dairy!

This smelled amazing as it was cooking. I don't know why I've never cooked onions in butter before, but I should start doing that because it just smelled so good. Then adding the garlic and the chicken broth and the zucchini made it all smell even more wonderful. I currently have a stuffy nose, but this fought through that and let me smell this wonderful smell. Okay, I'm gonna stop saying the word "smell."

It was a bit too thin for me, so I would cut down the water by 1 cup. There was water coming out of the zucchini too as it cooked so with the added 4 cups, it was probably too much. Otherwise, very tasty and I will be making this again whenever I have a load of zucchini again.

Zucchini Garlic Soup

Zucchini Garlic Soup [Makes 6 cups]
From The Kitchn

- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 8-9 large cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 4 medium zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- Salt and pepper

1. Melt the butter in a heavy 4-quart pot over medium heat. When it foams, add the sliced garlic and onions and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent. Keep the heat low enough that the garlic doesn't brown; you want everything to sweat.
2. When the onions are soft, add the zucchini and cook until soft. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer at a low heat for about 45 minutes.
3. Let cool slightly, then blend with an immersion blender until creamy, or transfer to a standing blender to puree. Be very careful if you use the latter; only fill the blender half full with each batch, and hold the lid down tightly with a towel.
4. Taste and season with ginger, salt and pepper. Like most soups, this is significantly better after a night in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld.

No comments: