Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lentil Curry

It's been too long since I've had curry. I would have made it before, but not everyone likes the smell of curry so I thought I'd save it for when I'd be home, where the smell is welcome at any time. I probably came across this recipe the same time I found the recipe for Lentil Burritos. I was, at one time, obsessed with using lentils as a substitute for everything.

The flavors are not too complex here. It depends mostly on the type of curry powder you use. Mine is pretty mild, so I might try adding more the next time I make this. I also have some garam masala that I might consider adding. Vegetables can be anything you like or anything you need to get rid of. I had nothing but celery and onion in the fridge, so that was all I put in today. It's also quite an easy recipe. Once you have your ingredients ready, all you have to do is throw things in the pot and let everything simmer! This is Number... Oh, I lost count. Just another from my Go-To Vegetarian Recipe Collection.

Lentil Curry
Lentil Curry

I love eating the curry and rice mixed together as above. The contrasting textures of chewy brown rice and mushy lentils is fun to eat for me.

Lentil Curry [Makes 4 servings]

- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder

1. In a saucepan, add lentils and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, onion, carrots, bell pepper, celery, garlic powder, and curry powder. Simmer again for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

No comments: