Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mexican Pasta Skillet

Wait a minute. Are there really only 3 days to Christmas?! When did this happen? I'm so not ready. The only part of Christmas dinner that I have planned is dessert, as always. I should probably get everything set tonight so I can go shopping tomorrow and not on Christmas Eve when the stores will be even more crowded than usual.

I finally got into the Christmas spirit when I watched the Christmas episode of Warehouse 13 yesterday. The mushy scene at the end of an episode where everybody is gathered at the table for dinner and having a good time always gets me. Then I proceeded to wrap everyone's present and got so happy when I thought of the faces on my family's faces when they see what I got them!

Archer Farms Salsa

While I was shopping for wrapping paper at Target, I also did all my food shopping for this recipe. However much I love self checkout, it was much more convenient to shop for everything at one place. I couldn't find any other brand name salsas other than Target's own Archer Farms, so I grabbed the cilantro kind. It took me a while to choose because there were so many choices! I'm happy with the cilantro though because it tastes great (and smells amazing as it simmers). There is a tiny bit of heat to the salsa from the two peppers, but I think it's better than an overwhelming spicy flavor in this dish. This can also act as a great base recipe, but I like it as simple as it is now. It took me just 30 minutes from start to finish.

Healthified Mexican Pasta Skillet

Healthified Mexican Pasta Skillet [Makes 5 servings]
From Eat Better America

- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef [I went for ground chicken]
- 16 oz salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni or shells
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese [I omitted]

1. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
2. Stir in salsa, tomato sauce and water. Heat to boiling. Stir in macaroni and corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender.

No comments: