Saturday, January 22, 2011

Éclair Cake

Last term, Shakespeare Society put on a production of Twelfth Night. It went extremely well and people really enjoyed it! Many whom I've talked to thought it was our best one yet. There are of course a few of those who thought otherwise, but they should really see that we are amateurs and not professionals.

To celebrate a job well done, we always throw a cast party at our house a week after a show. There was no time at all last term for a cast party as the production was put on the weekend before exams, which meant that by the next weekend, everyone would be home for Winter Break. We decided to postpone it until after break. Time for me to make a cake! I went simpler this time and didn't make a cake from scratch. Le gasp! I did look up recipes for vanilla pudding and chocolate frosting, but this time the party was on a Friday and since I wouldn't be home until 4 p.m. and the party started at 8:30 p.m., I knew I wouldn't have too much time. So I just decided to follow the recipe as is and see how it tastes.

Éclair Cake

It's always a challenge to pick a cake that everybody would enjoy. Even after I've made a sure decision, I have moments when I think it will be a hit and then I worry that nobody will like it. But I worry for no reason. It was a great success and only one slice left the next morning. Possibly the ugliest cake I've made, but I'll work on it.

Éclair Cake

Éclair Cake
From Buns In My Oven

- 1 14.4-oz package graham crackers
- 2 3.4-oz packages instant French Vanilla pudding
- 8 oz Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 cups milk [I used 2%]
- 16 oz chocolate frosting [Duncan Hines' homestyle chocolate frosting was my choice]

1. In a large bowl, mix together the pudding mix, Cool Whip, and milk. Beat well.
2. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Pour half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Add another layer of graham crackers and pour remaining pudding on top. Add the final layer of graham crackers and spread with chocolate frosting. You may need to soften the frosting up a bit in the microwave to help it spread easily.
3. Refrigerate for at least four hours before serving.

No comments: