Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Oat Burgers

Hey! Four posts in four days! This is a great start in the new year, eh?

I've been cooking as much as I can the last two days because I start student-teaching tomorrow. Basically, I'm back in high school. For the next 12 weeks, I will be at the local high school with a math teacher, whom I am so glad to be working with. He is really passionate about getting his students to understand the material. He is also really enthusiastic about working with me. I worked with him before for my Practicum hours and instead of leaving me in the back of the classroom just to observe (which other Practicum teachers have done), he included me in the classes. I've heard that he has had a very high success rate with his students, so I can't wait.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to cook during the week while I'm student-teaching so these frequent posts may be short-lived, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. In order to prepare for my lunch for this week, I made these Oat Burgers. Easy to make and filling so that no students can hear my stomach growling during class. You can probably mix the flavors up a bit too. Try other veggies instead of just mushrooms alone or different spices and herbs.

Making Oat Burgers

I've always had difficulty flipping these things, but today, it wasn't too bad. What I did was first spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. I poured the mixture into the prepared pan and then put it in the oven to bake the first time. To flip, I sprayed a piece of parchment paper (long enough to cover the baking pan) with cooking spray, put the sprayed side down over the baking pan, flipped it. Then just put the paper into the baking pan with the burgers and bake again.

Oat Burgers

Oat Burgers
From Fat Free

- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 4 1/2 cups oatmeal

1. Bring all ingredients except oatmeal to a boil.
2. Lower heat and add oatmeal. Cook until all water is absorbed.
3. Add mixture to a greased baking pan and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
4. Cut mixture into 8 squares and flip. Bake for 20 more minutes.

No comments: