Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tahini Curried Carrot Salad

I made this salad a few days ago, but decided to delay my post until I figured out how I felt about it. Obviously, it doesn't taste bad because then I would have known right away. It's just a very new combination of flavors for me that it took me a couple eats to form an opinion. Besides in pre-made hummus, I've never had tahini before. Even though I eat sesame seeds quite often, it's quite a different taste. Once I got accustomed to the taste of tahini, I loved eating this salad. I love biting into the shredded carrots with all the other textures that the raisins and the seeds contribute.

Tahini Curry Dressing

The dressing is quite thick, but don't try to thin it out too much because it should stick to the carrots. That way, you can also eat the dressing instead of letting it sink to the bottom of the container and losing all the flavors. I'm also not a fan of runny dressings that go all over the place, so the consistency was perfect.

Tahini Curried Carrot Salad

I'm really glad I found this recipe because it's seriously a new way for me to eat vegetables, especially carrots. New flavors, too. It makes for a great side to your meal. Or it can be a meal in itself! Just toss it with some protein such as tofu to make for a filling lunch or dinner. It also makes a lot, which I am so happy about that because it guarantees me something to take to school for lunch and I won't have to cook so much during the week!

Easy Tahini Curried Carrot Salad [Makes 5 cups]
From Healthy. Happy. Life.

- 10 oz julienne cut/matchstick carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds [I used sunflower seeds]
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 to 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Dash of cayenne (optional, for extra spicy salad)
- Dash of sea salt on top (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (or sprinkled over top, optional)

1. In a small bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, curry powder, black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Whisk well.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the carrots, raisins and pumpkin seeds.
3. Pour the dressing mixture over the carrot mixture. Toss well until all the ingredients are well coated. Pour into serving bowl to set.
4. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour. Serve chilled.

No comments: