Sunday, February 20, 2011

Curry Apple Fried Rice

Our university gives us a week off in February probably because of Washington's birthday, so this week all I have is student-teaching from 7:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. I am so glad to have this break because I have the evenings free! Now I seriously have time to cook as much as I want. I might have stuff to work on such as memorizing my lines for two plays (though one is significantly shorter time-wise) and making lesson plans. I will be teaching full-time in the classroom soon enough and I feel like I should prepare now and go over my notes with my cooperating teacher to make sure it'll work. But I don't have commitments to be somewhere other than my own home, so this week will be relaxing.

I've been wanting curry or anything with curry powder this week. This fried rice seemed interesting, especially with the apple. I think because I used a Golden Delicious apple, it wasn't such a prominent taste, but I liked that. I used chicken stock and it definitely is better than using water when you cook the rice. Still, season the dish with salt before serving because bland rice mixed with apple isn't great. I had a bunch of celery in the fridge so that and onions were the only vegetables I added into this dish, but next time, I'd like to add more color. Maybe I'll use a red apple.

SDC10027

Curry Apple Fried Rice
From Meatless Monday

- 1 cup rice
- 2 1/4 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped with the skin on
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin

1. Cook rice according to package directions, using vegetable broth instead of water.
2. Preheat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the wok.
3. Add onions and frozen vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add apples and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until garlic begins to color.
5. Add rice, eggs, curry powder and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes more, serve and enjoy!

SDC10038

No comments: