Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rice and Bean Burritos Take 2

I made a bunch of burritos a while ago and stuffed them in the freezer and I ran out last week! So I needed to make some more. Since I have time to cook this week, I figured I should make those so that I have more back-ups lunch and/or dinner plans for the upcoming weeks where I will be busy, busy, busy! The easiest lunch I could prepare. Just take one out of the freezer the night before and throw it in my backpack in the morning. I decided to mix up the ingredients to make these different from the last ones; hence the "Take 2" in the name. I took out the third can of beans and replaced it with corn. I also thought the paprika alone was too bland, so I found a new mix of spices to flavor the filling. The amount I have is too little compared to the filling, so I would try to double it next time. I would also like to try red beans instead of black and yellow rice instead of plain white rice. Make these with ingredients that you love to make them your favorite burritos.

Remember, watch this video to learn how to roll your burritos. It's been "eye-opening" for me, at least!

Rice and Bean Burrito Filling Take 2

Rice and Bean Burritos [Makes 9 burritos]
From Macheesmo

- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced [didn't have it so I used celery]
- 2 to 3 jalapenos, de-seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups corn
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Large pinch of salt and pepper
- 9 large tortillas

1. Heat oil in a large pan with lid. Add onions and peppers and saute for a few minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir for another minute. Once the rice is hot, add the necessary amount of water (or chicken broth) listed in the instructions of rice package to cook the rice.
3. Add the beans, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and let simmer on low for 20 minutes or until the rice is done (with a little bite but still soft).
4. Pull the pan off the heat and let it cool for about an hour. It needs to be room temperature before you start filling your burritos.

Rice and Bean Burritos Take 2

No comments: