Monday, March 14, 2011

Snickerdoodle Pie

Snickerdoodle Pie

Happy Pi Day! The constant, pi, has a value of 3.14159265 and so on; hence, the March 14th celebration every year. It's been a quite useful number in my math career and so I feel it necessary to celebrate this day. Sure, I could do some math problems, but the baker in me just really had to make a pie. And so I did! I baked it last night as I knew I would have no time to do it today and I had nothing in particular to do yesterday. But I plan on taking the pie to rehearsal tonight for more celebration.

Snickerdoodle Pie Snickerdoodle Pie

I knew it would be too much labor for me to make a cherry pie or an apple pie. Plus, none of those fruits are looking good at the market. So I came upon this Snickerdoodle Pie. First off, I love Snickerdoodles. (Actually, I love all baked goods.) The syrup that you pour over the pie smells amazing as you boil it. The mixture of sugar, butter, and cinnamon is heaven. As the pie cools, the surface hardens from the syrup but the inside still stays fluffy. Just like the cookie. I used Pillsbury's pre-made pie crusts and it tasted just fine. This is such an amazing concept for a pie. It's a cookie in pie form and I love it.

Snickerdoodle Pie

Snickerdoodle Pie
From Baking Bites

For the crust
- 1 9-inch pie crust (unbaked, rolled into a pie pan)
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon

For the filling
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature and divided
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk [skim works fine]
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare the pie crust by brushing the inside of the crust with melted butter.
2. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Pour into pie plate and turn to coat the entire inside of the crust with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, water, corn syrup and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Once sugar has dissolved, boil the syrup for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla extract. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream together remaining 1/4 cup butter, sugar and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Beat in egg and remaining 1 tsp vanilla extract, followed by the milk. When mixture is smooth, blend in the flour, mixing only until no streaks of flour remain visible.
5. Pour flour mixture into prepared pie crust. Pour syrup over the cookie mixture. Do not mix. Carefully transfer pie to the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes, until pie is browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm.

Snickerdoodle Pie

No comments: