Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chicken Parmesan Burgers

Why is Mother Nature so cruel? When I drove up to Jersey last week, it rained non-stop. When I drove down to Virginia yesterday, it rained for the last half of the trip. At least it wasn't as bad as last week. I got back around 2 p.m. and decided to go food shopping. What would be an easy meal to throw together when I'm feeling oh-so-tired? Burgers! After unpacking and cleaning up my room, it was already dinner time and my stomach was growling at me. Thank goodness all I had to do was throw a bunch of ingredients together.

Chicken Parmesan Burgers

Honestly, these were somewhat disappointing. The idea is awesome, but the results -- not so much. I couldn't even taste the Parmesan, so I guess I should add a bit more. I'd prefer to leave the breadcrumbs out next time. I went back to the original post and read the comments that people left and nobody else seemed to have this problem. I must have added too little seasoning or too little cheese, but it didn't amaze me too much. Maybe the finishing touches are what really makes this burger taste great. I didn't have any pasta sauce so I left that out, but did sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese on top. I'll have to work on how to improve this recipe before I make it again. Please, if you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you!

Chicken Parmesan Burgers

Chicken Parmesan Burgers [Makes 4 burgers]
From Erin's Food Files

- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- Salt and pepper

1. Lightly mix together all the ingredients for the burgers. Form into 4 patties. I like to make them about 30 to 40 minutes ahead of time, to let the flavors meld a little bit.
2. Preheat and spray the broiler with a little oil (or use the grill, or a pan). Broil the burgers for about 4 minutes on the first side, then flip and broil for 3 minutes.
3. Top each chicken burger with 2 tbsp pasta sauce and a slice or 2 tbsp of cheese. Place back under the broiler for 30 to 60 seconds, until cheese in melted and burger is cooked through.

No comments: