Monday, April 18, 2011

Hodduk (호떡)

Spring Break started last week and I drove back home on Saturday. I couldn't have chosen a better day to drive for 7 hours. Rain, rain, and more rain. Oh, and some wind. I'm surprised I even survived that trip, but I'm alive and I arrived home safely. So far, my break has been decent. Yesterday, I went on a shopping spree because I was in desperate need of new clothes and new shoes since the bottom of my 80/20 pair is ripping open. I also made crepes for breakfast for me and my sister (recipe soon!). Today, besides watching Nikita and memorizing Shakespeare, I made these stuffed pancakes for my parents. I've made these for my friends before and they were a huge hit!

Hodduk (호떡)

This is the kind of dessert that my family and I bought from either the street carts or the supermarkets. But considering how easy it is to make at home, I will always opt for homemade now. Very minimal amount of kneading is necessary for this dough. It's quite sticky to work with, so make sure you have a whole lot of flour ready. The dough is fluffy once fried and the cinnamon brown sugar becomes a syrupy gooey delicious filling. These are best eaten right after they've been cooked: when it's too hot to hold that you toss it from one hand to the other and when it's too hot to eat that you inhale a bit of air to cool it down.

Hodduk (호떡)

Hodduk (호떡) [Makes 8 pancakes]
From Maangchi

- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups flour, plus more for kneading
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon

1. In a large bowl, add warm water, sugar, yeast, salt, and oil. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Add flour and mix with a spoon until flour is well incorporated.
2. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for an hour at room temperature.
3. Knead the dough to remove gas bubbles. Cover and let sit again for 10 to 20 minutes.
4. Place a handful of flour on a cutting board. Place the dough on the cutting board and knead. Pat into a ball and divide into 8 equal-sized pieces.
5. Take one, flatten it, place some filling into the center and bring up the sides to the center and seal it to make a ball. Repeat with the remaining.
6. Heat a pan to medium and add 1 or 2 tbsp oil. Place a pancake in the pan and cook on one side until golden brown. Flip. Flatten the pancake with the spatula. Cook until golden brown. Let cool for a bit and serve.

Hodduk (호떡)

No comments: