Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Crepes

I bought a ton of apples last week to make Caramel Apple Pie, but that never happened at the Renaissance Festival. I then thought that I could make it for our Graduation Cook-Out, but that never happened either. I'm quickly running out of time to use the apples and I think my housemates would hate me if I left them with a pie when only two of them will remain. I was trying to think of recipes that use Granny Smith apples since I don't like to eat them alone. I remembered how much everybody enjoyed the Caramelized Apple Crepes I made for brunch once so I decided to make them again as breakfast for dinner.

Crepes

I used a different crepe recipe this time just to try a variety and choose the best ones. I'm keeping both recipes I've used so far because they are very different in taste. These crepes contain sugar, which the first recipe I used didn't have. This sweet version would be great when serving as dessert while the other version could work with savory ingredients for brunch. I don't know if the cake flour made a difference, so I'll have to try this again with just all-purpose flour. Expect a very runny batter--don't be tempted to add more dry ingredients. Be careful when you're flipping the crepes. This recipe yields more flimsy crepes and it doesn't help that they are thin. Make sure you spray the pan with cooking oil before cooking each crepe.

Crepes

This was my last chance to cook for everyone. I drive up home tomorrow with most of my life in the trunk and backseat of my car. I like to imagine that my housemates and I are all eventually going to meet up again. We already made plans to come back every summer since one of my housemates will still be in town and living in the same house. I think I'm even coming back this summer a couple times to visit and also to see more plays at the American Shakespeare Center, which is the most amazing place ever. It's the world's only re-creation of Shakespeare original indoor theatre and they do really funny stuff in their plays. It's in Staunton, Virginia so if you're nearby, you should go!

Crepes

Anyway, when I get my own place, I need to make friends with my neighbors so that I have people to bake for. I'll be coming up with every excuse to bake or cook. I'm also depending on my friends to get rich and famous one day so that they can hire me as their personal chef ;)

Crepes
From Zoom Yummy

- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Salt

1. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, water, and eggs.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix into the wet ingredients until batter is smooth.
3. Heat nonstick pan on medium-high. Spray with cooking spray. Add 1/4 cup batter and swirl to cover the whole pan. Let the crepe cook until brown. Shake a pan a bit to loosen the crepe. Flip and brown the other side. Serve.
4. If you don't want your crepes to get cold while you're making the rest of the batter, heat the oven to 200F and keep the crepes on a baking pan in the oven. It'll keep them all warm until you are ready to serve.

No comments: