Sunday, June 19, 2011

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

Happy Father's Day to all the men out there :)

My mom, my sister, and I put our money together to get my dad an awesome birthday gift, but as it was only two weeks ago, we ended up making it a birthday/Father's Day gift. So this morning, I surprised my dad with pancakes. He doesn't leave for work until 9 a.m. on Sundays, so I woke up earlier than usual to make them. Normally, my dad has Korean food for breakfast, but it's a special day, after all! He likes pancakes so I knew he wouldn't mind eating these for a change.

Rather than making the pancakes I always do, I decided to change it up. There are a lot of sour cream pancake recipes floating around on the Internet and since I had sour cream already, why not use it? Actually, the question I should really be asking myself is why HAVEN'T I used it before?! The addition of sour cream makes the pancakes fluffier. And thicker. And softer.

My parents ate these without the bananas, but I gave it a try. I've had banana pancakes before where mashed bananas are mixed into the batter, but as I'm not a fan of banana bread, I knew I wouldn't like that either. But with these pancakes, as only pieces are sprinkled on top, the banana doesn't overpower everything else.

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

I would make these for special occasions. I don't always have sour cream in the fridge and the other pancake recipe is enough to satiate my craving or to accompany any late night shenanigans.

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes [Makes 12 pancakes]
From The Urban Spork

- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp milk
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Unsalted butter
- 2 ripe bananas diced, plus extra for serving
- Pure maple syrup

1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.
2. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan (I use a 1/4 cup measure per pancake). Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, until browned. Wipe the pan with a paper towel, add more butter and continue cooking the pancakes until all of the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

No comments: