Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mediterranean Chicken Skewers

Ever since the cook-out that my housemates and our families held for graduation last month, I've had kebabs on my mind. We were, at one time, in charge of the food so it was one of the ideas flowing through my head until the parents took over, but I still wanted to make them. Today was probably the worst day this week to do just that. It was over 100 degrees this afternoon and humid and sunny. Turning the oven to broil fills our small kitchen with heat so quickly that the AC doesn't even matter at that point. At least it was only for 10 minutes!

Mediterranean Chicken Skewers

I used the marinade recipe below for the chicken, but you can use any recipe you'd like. Go for different flavors to spice it up! The possibilities are endless. I had some veggies about to go to waste in the fridge, so I used those to assemble the kebabs. Mushrooms, baby bell peppers, scallions, and onions. I had seen somebody put pineapple on skewers in one recipe so I put some on too. Broiled pineapple tastes amazing! Try it some time. It's so much juicier than when it's cold. Worth the heat. It feels great to eat something other than ham and cheese sandwiches. Kebabs takes a very short time to prepare and cook, so you can get this on the table quick. I want to make all kinds of kebabs now! I can't believe how easy these are. I'll have to try beef next time. I also found a great recipe for salmon skewers.

Mediterranean Chicken Skewers

Thank goodness it's thundering right now. Not so great for my dogs, though, who are trembling and panting from fear. Poor babies. But this will cool down the heat and make the outside more bearable for all of us.

Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
Adapted from Table Talk

- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Choice of veggies, cut into 1- or 2-inch pieces

1. Soak wooden skewers in water for an hour. This helps them burn less in the oven.
2. In plastic bag, combine chicken with lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Seal bag and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Thread chicken and veggies onto skewers. If grilling, grill over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning skewers every 3 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. If using the oven, move oven rack 6 inches or so from the top. Broil for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through, turning every 3 minutes.

No comments: