Friday, June 10, 2011

Spaghetti with Artichokes and Capers

I wish we had a bigger fridge. Or a bigger kitchen, but let's start small. My mom tends to push things into the fridge, sending everything to the back and then forgetting about what's in the back and letting it get old. Now that I'm home, I inspect the back frequently to see what I can throw out and clear up some much needed space. But sometimes, nothing can be thrown out and there's absolutely no more room. It doesn't help that my parents and I eat different foods now since I like to cook, so the fridge is twice as full as it normally would be.

Same goes for the freezer. I noticed a bag of frozen artichokes in the freezer the other day. In an attempt to make more space, I decided I needed to make something with those artichokes. We also have a ton of spaghetti after somebody gave us a pack when we already had some. I thought spaghetti and artichokes would make a great meal. This is a very simple recipe that can be doubled or quadrupled easily. You can add or subtract to your liking, too.

It doesn't look like anything has been taken out of the freezer, but I'll take it one item at a time... Maybe by the end of the month, we can open the freezer without getting attacked by a random piece of frozen meat. That hurts like no other when it lands on my foot.

Spaghetti with Artichokes

Spaghetti with Artichokes [Makes 1 serving]

- 3/4 cup frozen artichokes hearts
- 2 oz spaghetti
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp capers, drained (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, grated

1. Put large pot of salted water on to boil. Add pasta when water begins to boil and cook according to instructions on pasta package. When pasta is just about al dente, drain well and return to pot. Reduce heat to low.
2. Add artichokes, capers, garlic powder, enough olive oil so pasta won't stick to pan, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss around for a minute or so, until artichokes are thawed.
3. Transfer to plate. Top with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.

No comments: