Sunday, October 16, 2011

Butterfinger Clone

Remember the S'mores Cups I made way, way ago? I was going to take them with me on the drive down here to give as a belated birthday present to a friend. I left them in the fridge overnight and I took my time in the morning before leaving just to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. But of course! What do I forget?

So I owed my friend a present. I've visited her twice now, but couldn't find the time to make something else for her before I went up. But I finally caught up with work and am now ahead with my lesson planning. This weekend, I went to see her perform in a play so I made Butterfinger Clones to take with me. It's pretty amazing how close these taste to the real deal. I like the crunchiness of Butterfingers, but as these are made from candy corn, these clones are not crunchy. Hey, the flavor is still there so that's good enough!

Butterfinger Clone

I need to make these a few more times to get it perfect. I found it difficult to work with melted candy corn, but I also didn't have the right bowls. Yeah, I used a huge mug so I couldn't mix as quickly as I needed to before the candy corn set again.

Butterfinger Clone

Because my bars didn't turn out perfect, it was also difficult to coat these neatly with chocolate. There's a little orange peaking out from some bars while there were still fork marks on others. Some were just plain ugly, but the last few looked better as I got more practice. I got 16 mini bars out of this recipe, but you could also make 8 bigger bars or even bite size pieces! How cute would those be.

Butterfinger Clone [Makes 16 mini bars]
From Ruf Love

1 lb candy corn
16 oz peanut butter
16 oz dark chocolate candy coating

Line an 8x8 pan with parchment or wax paper.

Melt candy corn in microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Stir after each interval. Stir in peanut butter. Spread mixture into pan and cool completely. Trim edges if needed. Cut into 16 rectangles (3 rows of 6).

Melt chocolate according to package instructions. Using fork, dip each rectangle into chocolate and completely cover. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

No comments: