Thursday, November 24, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everybody had a nice time with family. Since I wasn't with my family this year, my carpool buddy invited me to her family dinner. It was great meeting everyone and putting faces to their names and stories. I had wonderful food and made some wonderful new friends :)

Buttermilk Pie

I brought over a bottle of Bailey's to enjoy after dinner, but I couldn't show up empty-handed in terms of dessert. I knew that there was going to be Pumpkin Pie already, so I didn't even look at recipes for that. Plus, there were absolutely no more cans of pumpkin at Walmart. I then looked for not-so-heavy pies to lighten up our palettes after a heavy Thanksgiving dinner. Buttermilk Pie popped up and, funny enough, most people make it during the holidays as a Southern tradition, so I thought This is perfect.

Buttermilk Pie

Everybody enjoyed the pie so it was a success. There's minimum effort in putting this together: just mix everything, pour, and bake! I used Pillsbury's pie crust to make it even easier. I saw that just 20 minutes into baking, the top was getting brown a bit too fast, so I covered it with foil. But then, as I took off the foil towards the end, a piece of the top came off with it, so that explains the weird hole on top. The pie rises while baking, but gradually deflates as it cools down.

Buttermilk Pie

Buttermilk Pie

After dinner, I headed home before heading back out again to hit Walmart for some Black Friday deals. But, boy, once I got there, it was so crazy that I just looked at the DVD sections, grabbed a few movies, and got in line right away. While in line, I got lucky because somebody didn't want a 30-piece tupperware set so I grabbed that! I had planned on checking out Target and Best Buy for some more deals, but it wasn't even close to midnight by the time I got out of Walmart and as I drove by, the lines literally circled around the stores, so I knew I wouldn't find any parking. I'm happy with my purchases. Now I'll have new things to watch for the remainder of my break!

Buttermilk Pie [Makes 2 pies]
From Sing For Your Supper

2 9-inch pie crusts, unbaked
3 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
Lemon zest and juice (optional) [I left this out]

Mix sugar, flour and salt. Add eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla.

Pour into two unbaked pie crusts and bake for 1 hour at 350F. Check them at 50 minutes--if they’re too jiggly, put them back in for a few more minutes. They shouldn’t jiggle very much at all when they’re done. If the tops are getting too brown, cover loosely with foil for the remainder of baking time.

Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.

No comments: